I've been using django-stdimage for quite a while now, if you never heard about it you really should check it out.
It's a custom image field with extra functionalities, like the ability to delete an image .. which is a feature I can't believe that is still not part of django core.
Anyway, I've been using it for a while in many projects but I ended up creating a in-house SVN mirror. This way I could apply my patches and bug fixes.. because the original project looks quite dead since 2008.
I tried to send a patches a while ago, but it was never included. I contacted the author asking him if I could get commit access so I could fix some things. But I did not get a friendly answer at all, so I forget the idea.
Now months have passed and I'm still using my mirror, which has an increasing list of bug fixes.
After looking today and seeing that there was no new commits, but only new issues, I decided that I had enough .
For the moment this the same project plus some bug fixes I made and some user submitted patches that was never integrated in the original project. I might had new features eventually, but for the moment I will concentrate on fixing issues.
Here's the change list so far:
r8 - Fixed stdimage issue #40 added setup.py file
r7 - Fixed stdimage issue #28 (loading fixtures breaks when the image does not exists)